Tuesday, April 27, 2010

The Quality Copy Centre


The note posted above the copier machine.





The other day I was needing to make some copies of documents and decided to turn Betsy (my car) towards my old taman ( neighborhood ) which is the place I grew up in .. in Section 20, Paramount Garden. There is a half shop operated by an 'auntie' ,
                                                                                                
and the other half used by her husband selling car accessories. They have been there for ages and is the cheapest place I know for doing mass copies.

And so I sauntered in the shop and explained to the lady what I needed done. While she was busy operating the machine ( and there were several ), my eye was drawn to a nondescript A4 paper stuck onto the wall above the copier next to me. It seem important enough for someone to stick it in a place where everybody can read.. maybe while waiting for their copies made.. . . like me.

and here is what it says..

What can money do or not do?

While our culture says
money is the answer to all our
problems, we also hear that
money is bad. Money is the **
root of all evil. Money corrupts!
So lets take a look at what
can money do or not do.

* It can buy a house but not a home

* It can buy a bed but not sleep

* It can buy a clock but not time

* It can buy you a book but not knowledge

* It can buy you position but not respect

* it can buy you medicine but not health

* it can buy you blood but not life

So you see, money is not everything!


hmnnn. . . (double take.. slowly this time )


To be frank, I have seen variations of this 'money is NOT everything' tirade. But what is surprising is the very unlikely setting where it was found. . . in a very "Chinese shop" family type business operation ... and where basically MONEY IS EVERYTHING!

I looked around me again and took a deeper look at the auntie ( older than muah i guess can call auntie lah ) and wondering if I should engage her in some conversation over this little sermon.

Not sure what I would hear should I start, I decided to keep my trap shut. I gave her a smile and a thank-you when she returned my change . . but there is new found respect as I pondered her 'story' about the conclusions of money..

Perhaps the years as a copier lady... she has seen enough to know the difference between the REAL thing and the copy...

the end
17.07.09


**. . actually the Word of God says ' .. it is the love of money which is the root of all evil.." ( 1Timothy 6:10 )

2 comments:

  1. Most certainly. Money is not everything. Just that everything needs money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. love how you are an keen observer of things and people around you. and i love your last sentence..


    "Perhaps the years as a copier lady... she has seen enough to know the difference between the real and the copy..."

    ReplyDelete