Friday, April 16, 2010

Labor day weekend@Port Dickson 2009

The sea is just my favorite great place to relax and just chill. I love the smell of the salt air and the feel of fine sand thru my toes. The horizon is a mystery and so also the sea.. I had a chance to be alone out there today, doing my favorite position .. floating in the sea on my back, with eyes closed to the sky. 


As the gentle waves bob my being about not unlike weightlessness in space (surreal!! ). In that totally relaxed "altered state" of consciousnes, my thoughts drifted back to a time 30 years ago on that same stretch of beach.
                                                                                                                             
So clear it was, it could have been yesterday.


Three friends fresh out of school chilling at PD beach waters and pondering about life and the future, carefree yet a tinge of apprehension.. 

30 years ago.

Today, one is a father to 2 beautiful children, a single parent .. lost his wife to cancer few years back. He has seen the toughest of times a man can endure, came out shaken, but stronger and in the process, found his peace with God. A single parent doing in my mind a superhuman feat juggling all the demands of work and family and finances.


The other, still a single for now, but if not mistaken will get hitched sometime this year (never too late i guess.. whoever is worth waiting for..). Things are starting to look really good for him.. and I am happy to see it. Thru the ups and down of this journey called life.. he too has found his peace with God.


Well, my experience has been quite different from how I had envisioned life would be, the 30 years has taken me to live in 3 different countries, there are times the challenges are more than I preferred. Not the "perfect" dream fleshed out as how some would consider a perfect life, but hey I am not complaining. There are many things I am very thankful for ..a wife who shares my heart (well most times at least..haha.), family, good friends that remain, most of all an enduring relationship with the One who has loved me eternally.


Thirty (30) years have gone by.. and in a flash.

When did all this happen??!!

Well, I am not sure how or what the next 30 will look like, but one thing for sure we have more reason to hope, and more courage to go with than 30 years back .


Our hands are in the hands of the One who has left His footprints in the sands of time.

Here is a favourite anecdote of mine. 

"and I asked Him, 'where were you during those terrible times.. there were only one set of footprints in the sand.' He said, " I was there.. . I was the One who carried you during those times..."




I know .. these must be the most colorful shorts on the beach... btw they were borrowed shorts..



plenty of sun sea and sand...





... and the end of yet another day..

Mervyn and Claire's Wedding day ( mervyn and me...Mark(?) where did you go?)





Today, mervyn is running training seminars together with his lovely wife, Claire. Mark is currently a marketing manager at pharmaceutical company, and I .. well,  a humble real estate agent. (pss..any business to pass to me..ah)

Joshua boaz .. 1st birthday 17.11.2012 (Mervyn and Claire's first born darling)

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Andrew, where did you manage to get those "classic" B&W shots? Fantastic! You are simply too high tech for me, brother. Blogging? Man I've just barely gone past fb...! You are simply fantastic, you old bugger you... Ha! Ha! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I love your way with words, my man! Especially about the other stooge... simply a man whos been down and can fully emphatize with the depths of another's pain or need...
    Again, just fabulous! You ever thought of taking up writing as a paid profession? Something to consider perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  3. so why have you been keeping this blog quiet?

    ReplyDelete