Monday, November 28, 2011

when I'm sixty four ..

So I decided to pay a visit to one of my high school classmates over at his house recently. His mother (probably in her 80s) was quite happy to see me and so I decided to sit and chat with her in her living room. Quick witted, funny and insightful, I have always enjoyed my conversations with her ...

Me: ‘ how are you auntie?’

“I am ok lah.. some aches and pains but otherwise ok lah.” she answers.

Sits comfortably ..

Then she looks at me , “but I am sorry to say, you look much older since the last time I saw you.

Huh?

 “ .. and you also lost some weight” she nods knowingly 

 Do you know this Mr. so and so aah?

Me: ‘No lah, i don’t  ...’ ( trying to remember when was the last time she saw me .. 6 months ago?? .. )

Auntie: eh he’s from my church, and you look just like him now lah .. “

Me: “ oh .. “ (now, why would I know someone from your church )

Auntie: “ and he’s about 60”

( wt...??  SIXTY ??? .. )

“Maybe you should just dye your hair ..”  my friend offers.

( hello?? but I like my salt/pepper look ..)

Your wife don’t ask you to dye your hair ah?

(yeah, last i remembered she liked my half-vintage look)

Me: “ hello auntie, we all getting older lah, your face also looks more leathery now  .. you expect me to look like 10 yrs younger from six months ago ah?

(I wish I said ..)

But i was too polite .. of course.

Sometimes, don’t you wish we weren’t such a ‘caring’ lot, we Malaysians.




No comments:

Post a Comment