Saturday, December 10, 2011

Patches

Every so often there  comes an unexpected scene, an event/a moment that captures a profound meaning, for no other plausible reason except that it DOES(!) .. cos it hits you there and etches  in the annals of your mind.

It was an evening spent celebrating my good friend’s birthday, his year of Jubilee (freedom) or so he says .. his big 50th birthday bash.( a nice Chinese dinner, 3 out of this world durians for dessert ie. sek khor, raja kunyit and musang), and then we ended the evening at a small dingy watering hole that featured a 2 man band (live) playing all the oldies music from the 60-80s. It has been ages (really) since I stepped into this kind of smoked filled stale air bar-room..

But he was the birthday boy, so..   

As expected the crowd were all the older set.  But there was one familiar face which I did not take long to recognise. He was Mr. Clement Fernandes, my physics teacher and overall in teacher-charge-of sports during my high school days in La Salle PJ. It was quite a reach back in time as I pieced together  the memories I had of the " teacher!/sir ", and the one standing right now  in front of me. Gone the youthful handsome face; now a face that has weathered the years well, warm and a hint of cheekiness in the eyes (well hidden during his years in the teacher mode).
Or maybe it was the way he held his beer mug (vs the chalk/duster ). 

He grins widely and says “there were only two kinds of students I remember ..  the very good ones and the very naughty ones..”

"Yes,  of course I remember you as he puts his arm gently around my shoulder"( I didn’t ask him which group I was.. ).

He is 66 yrs now and introduces his Chinese wife, Dorothy, Been together for 39 years,  Apparently, they live nearby and frequent this joint quite often for the oldies ‘live’ music and .... dancing!! .

Soon the live band started, and yes in the midst of all the noisy sing along crowd and smoked filled air, was a couple in their golden years enjoying a golden moment waltzing to the song “Patches” ( yea, that song was even older than me! ).

But it was quite a sight to behold.  

Even as I pen these  thoughts I try to figure what was it about the picture that tugs at my heart. .. was it some archived memory jolted back  from a time when my growing years (life) was so different and carefree ..  and maybe this carefree "teacher/sir" from the past is still teaching me a lesson now ..  or maybe it was  the sing-a-long crowd ( that evergreen song Patches); or a crowd of 40-50 somethings reliving some past and just  'cheering' on this couple  ..

or maybe it was the way he held and waltzed with her .. the sight of an older couple here, enjoying their moment and oblivious to all ..

but here's a quality picture.

and here's to wishing you both many more waltzing years to come.

Or .maybe .. twas  just that evergreen sad sad song. Have a listen  “Patches ..”


enjoying their moment


!Blast from the past! .. Mr.Clement and me.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Andrew,

    I think you connected to what we all want in life, to be loved and embraced throughout eternity. that couple was an example of that kind of love. What a blessing for you and al those who got to witness it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks ivonne for your comment. I am gonna post your 'epilogue' to my little tale. ;)) great stuff!
    http://ivonnemontijo.wordpress.com/2011/12/17/the-eternal-dance/#comment-261

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh, how did i miss this post?? yeah, what a nice scene that would have been. but wait a minute...people are talking about Paul and me 'that' way, too!! Wha- we're not that old! or are we? :(

    ReplyDelete