Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Lizard on my windshield

If you have been driving as long as I have (30+ yrs) you are bound to have encountered some unintended ‘passengers’ in your car, be it ... spiders, mosquitoes, roaches and yes lizards. Well, i would not have paid particular attention to it except that this was a young one, this lizard, barely one inch long. It was too late to stop the car as i was about to enter onto the main road when i noticed it climbed up onto the middle of my view. There it was frozen and terrified, holding on to dear life as the car raced up to speed with the other vehicles. 



 It must be terrifying.

I looked closely at my new study of interest. Nothing in its young life could have possibly prepared it for what was happening ... headlights in its eyes, the strong vibrations from the engine, sudden jolts from the uneven road, the still night air now has turned into gale force ‘wind’ that threatens to literally sweep it off it sucker feet. It was pure terror registered all over it.

I watched with fascination and pondered its predicament. If I could read it’s mind, it would probably be cussing .. ” what the heck.. all i was looking was some little grub to fill my hungry stomach and now .. and now.. the whole dang sky is falling! ” 

Hold on little one .. the journey is only ten minutes and we should arrive soon and your world is going to be normal again. 

Hold. On.

Suddenly, the fear that engulfed it began to give in to panic. Its tail raised and so also the head (a distressed posture).. thinking what to do the next step, it made a dash toward the wipers, but wait.. perhaps picking up the stronger vibrations near the engine, it turned around and headed back up. 

Then it stalled.. pondering what next to do. 

It was a dilemma . . of life and death proportions literally played out before my eyes.

And sometimes..."life" can be like that.

Here we are minding our own business and suddenly we find ourselves locked into situations we hadn’t ask for, taken us by surprise (ambushed us) and now we are fighting for sanity and survival. Nothing has prepared us for a time such as this. 

.yeah, sometimes life can feel like a lizard stuck on a windshield and speeding down the LDP. 

When i finally parked (at IOI Mall), I quickly got out to see if lizzy was still there. At some point along the journey she scrambled up the windshield and on to the roof of my car, out of my sight.

( btw..It’s quite a task to keep an eye on the road AND lizzy at the same time)

Unfortunately, I couldn’t locate it..

I spent the next 5 minutes with my camera torchlight searching through the crevices of my car (attracting curious stares.. ). I was hoping to see that it had survived. 

( and what kind of answer does one give IF a kind soul should offer to help?.”Err .. saya cari cicak .. .” Nevertheless I persisted.

But she was nowhere to be found. 

Sigh. So .. it wasn’t the ending i was hoping for. Yeah that’s the thing .. sometimes these endings .. they don’t follow the script we want. 

BUT I just want to say it out LOUD. 

DON”T. GIVE. UP. NEVER. GIVE. UP.

as long as we have breath .. we can and should carry on. Things are never as bad as it appears..

Hang in there, bro. 

Whatever life’s situation you may be facing....

God’s hasn’t written the last chapter yet

(dedicated to the memory of friends and loved ones .. sadly, some of whom didn’t finish the journey)


Psalm 91 

3. Surely he will save you from the fowler's snare 
         and from the deadly pestilence. 
4. He will cover you with his feathers, 
        and under his wings you will find refuge; 
    his faithfulness will be your shield and rampart.

(Yeah ..  it is all about His faithfulness)


1 comment: