Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Father

I’ve always envied those among us who have had such great relationships with their parents in their growing up years. I wish I could say I was one of those, because frankly my relationship with my parents (when growing up) was distant. That would be the honest assessment. I think the problem was not so much their part as it was my own. ..


 It was not ‘cool’ to have an open relationship with the folks. It was more cool to just do our own thing and keep it in the dark from mum and dad. Maybe that was how it was then, the era of rebellion (after effects of the Woodstock/Beatles) or maybe it was just a teenage thing. Or maybe the home environment (and the traditional Chinese family) was never really conducive for that kind of thingy. .

Well, we (all) didn’t know any better.

I left home when I was 18. My relationship with them took on a different complexion after that.

One of the so called maxims and oft repeated ‘truths’ believed among Christian circles is that the manner in which we view the Heavenly Father is apparently skewed by how good a relationship we had with our earthly father.

That. Sucks. But the logic is simple.

If we had a great relationship with our earthly dads, then this relationship (more than likely) is carried over (projected) into our relationship with our heavenly dad, the elements of trust (faith), love, etc.. And sadly, the opposite is also true. If we were distrustful of our earthly fathers, then we would have a hard time trusting in a heavenly Father whom we have not seen. If we have not been able to receive love from our authority figures (father) then we develop these predispositions of (unconsciously) erecting ‘walls’ around ourselves.

And so, it leaves those of us who have less than spectacular relationships with our dads feeling somewhat disadvantaged. ..

Well , cest la vive (such is life) ,and that was my lot. For years that was how i thought, that maybe my relationship my heavenly Father somehow was lacking some ingredient.

But in recent years, i have a different revelation about the father heart of God; it has to do very much with my own relationship with my own sons (and i have 3 boys).

They have reached the age where it takes more than just a warm bed and a roof over their heads to help them on with life.

More and more, i know there just isn’t anything i wouldn’t do to see my sons do well in life and to be happy.

I couldn’t wish them otherwise.

Can our heavenly Father be any less (for us)?

The answer is obviously no.

And while i am limited at how much i can do to set them up in life, i know it is not the same case with our heavenly father.

Reminded me, in the first place why i was so bold to have children .., it was because i know someday they will personally encounter this heavenly Daddy who can and will do more for them, be that provider for them, an all Wise Counsellor and yes, love them more than I ever could.

The road ahead may have some twists and turns, but they have a heavenly father I trust will guide them through this journey called life.

Yup, tonight the world’s all right . . and there is a peace here .. passes all (human) understanding.

Thanks Daddy-o

(I have always been your father, always will be your father, my question is .. will you be my child? - John 1 )

2 comments:

  1. that was so sweet, Andrew. Wish we could see some pictures of you with your sons, though.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Val .. that would be hard to do. Boys don't like to take pix... esp with their dads .. Mum have it easy .. everyone wants to be with mums. ;))
    andrew

    ReplyDelete