Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Polo Rocks Finals

My heart pounded along with the heavy drum beat that boomed out of those huge  man-size speakers; the bassist pumped up as the song raised its crescendo. They were now getting into the song (or ‘groove’ as my generation  would say); one which Jared had wrote only two weeks ago. I couldn’t help smiling, it was only the 2nd time i was hearing the song. . . it sounded good.. Go Jared!  It had great energy. And I felt good the rush of adrenaline. Whoo hooo!

But earlier in the evening I wasn’t so sure, especially when I caught sight of the huge stage, I felt nervous for him. Is this the same kid I bought that Rm60/=  guitar which was way oversize for him as a slight frame 12year old, and now (he’s) going to play on this stage in front of all these people (??). I knew he had some music in him, but this was way above his previous experience. But they did very well, Jared, Mike, and Ryan Gomes. They packed a punch and their number was tight.  I thought they held their own against the other more fully equipped bands that pounded out their songs like professionals.

I felt proud of him.

And I had every reason to hope this could turn out to be their night ( a podium finish? at least top 3? ) at Polo Rocks.

But tonight was more than just a concert experience for me; it was a milestone of sorts for us as family as well. Just barely 3 years ago, I (we)  would not have come to witness such a music event, much less cheering on my son as a contestant. At that point in time, we had become embroiled in our certain view of music, believing that certain types of music was ‘displeasing’ to God because it invited loose morals and a permissive lifestyle. Sex Drugs & rock and roll. .  I grew up in that post era.

Somehow humans have taken on themselves to determine what behaviour is deemed ‘pleasing’ to God. We have acted in place of God to dictate behaviour, music, lifestyle, dressing, etc, etc.. It is what has divided much the church. And this  same spirit ( legalism)  has provoked the people (Taliban) in Afghanistan to prohibit music, force garb clothes on men and women, impose rules that stifle life and creativity.  All in the belief that they are promoting what is pleasing to God. Unfortunately,  this is a common feature among all institutionalised religions.

The turning point for me came when God orchestrated circumstances in our lives that brought us to visit this relatively new church. Unfamiliar with the songs and having a hard time ‘getting into worship’ because of the new genre of worship music .. i was waiting to leave when the pastor spoke an open word to ‘someone’ in the congregation. I remembered closing my eyes and before i could decide if it was meant for me, I was suddenly taken up into the ‘heaven-lies’. No trying hard on my part (to get into worship) ...,  just whoosh! Somewhat ‘Saul-shocked’ and confused, (but thoroughly enjoying the BLISS ) I realized rather quickly God was indeed in this place regardless of my ill-preset ideas.

It was my mind-set that blocked God out.

That began a journey of discovery that God is indeed above all this pettiness we deem so ‘important’ in our walk as Christians. It blew my theology out of the water; the long and short of it all ..  we broke out of our ‘smallness-view’ of God.

It has been a liberating journey ever since and we love it.

Watching Jared and the guys belt it out, fun was evident. God wants us to LIVE, have ‘fun’ with Him and not be straight-jacketed into some religiously sanctioned behaviour. (Incidentally, his song was all about the adventure of going out onto the streets of KL "treasure hunting" ie. to pray for the people (strangers), having to overcome the fears, feelings of rejection, seeing miracles breakout..  etc etc.. ( He manages to ‘break into the heavenly language’ somewhere in between the song as well. See if you hear it.)

It was a fun night indeed when we met up old friends whom we wouldn’t have otherwise, and made some new ones as well. Children of friends who were little the last time we saw them have now grown up into fine looking  and lovely young ladies and men. Life is evolving, and music is certainly not stagnant. But we tend to ‘choose’ to stay with the genre of music we grew up with  ... and just get stuck there.

Much like us holding onto our favoured theological positions.

At the end of the night,  the 6 judges ruled in favour of a band ‘Reckless’ that played ‘head-banger’ type music. They were good, and produced a polished performance with lots of showmanship thrown in.  I can’t say i really liked their music, and I don’t know if I ever will, but I am open to try.

After all, (all) that head shaking action must be good for some clearing  of the head somewhat  eh?

Hmmn .. now how is that head action again?


when i saw the huge stage, my heart skipped a beat .. I was nervous for him.







This was probably the most tense moment for me....




But when they took off, they sounded really good ..

                                        ..

  

  our supporters from all over .. australia, s. africa, zimbawe, Latvia, france, .. and puchong!

     
                                             





1 comment:

  1. Andrew thanks for the sharing. People really need to start doubting whatever it is they believe in and only then they come out stronger and clearer in what it is they believe in or go on the search for something new. There are so many that follow rituals blindly, call it legalistic etc, without ever realizing the essence of God is within.

    ReplyDelete