Sunday, June 11, 2017

Mr. Tambourine man

So we were driving home on a sleepy afternoon when the radio station started playing a song that caught instant recognition with my other half. No I've not heard it before ( much to her surprise!). It had a catchy tune/ simple words reminiscent of songs from the 60s , a period when the world was much
easier to understand (and yes its songs too!) . Actually, it wasn't the song per say that caught my surprise, but rather seeing how she was absorb into this carefree tune. (she almost never sings with the radio). 


Sometimes we get to see things in a flash and these 'happenstance' add so much value to us cos it leaves us a little better than we were before.  

And here was one occasion.

Not quite sure how to explain but as I watched her sing along, I  chanced a 'peek' into her life as young girl growing up in a small seaside town called Port Dickson, a sleepy resort town of sorts. The young(er) version of Linda with all the 'dreams' and 'aspirations'  (and "things") that fill a young girls mind. Although not hugely musical herself, she grew up in a house filled with talented musical people (aunts, uncles, extended family); the music from the radio and/or record player (yess they exist) would play out constantly the playlists /requests of the aunts n uncles,  tunes synonymous with the great music of their day. 

So for a brief moment I 'transported' to her young (schoolgirl) self; a time when I didn't even know she existed. (and neither she of me).  But it was like catching something freshly innocent about a person with whom I've now lived for some 33 years  I felt myself smiling as I was drawn to her again, watching her enjoy the moment. 

For me a tender moment. 

Coincidental ?  Well, sometimes i think God knows exactly what we need and how he does it just surprises me. An unsuspecting moment in the car, and a 'seeing' that ignites emotions buried under the dust of time and familiarity. ( actually, two people  together that long inevitably bear the scars of conflict; and resolutions can be stubborn at times ). That God has his unique ways to minister to me came as a surprise as well. 

Maybe it's halftime, maybe I (just) got a dose of some divine pep talk. 

Well Mr.Tambourine man, you brought a lil spark into the car that day.  a song so simple,and yet deeply profound, coming on over a radio station and enlarge our perspective (and our hearts);and we are not the same again.  

Thank you and yes play me that song (again!) 

In case you like to hear it, this is the song below. Enjoy


ttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKi2XcEvvoc

* Mr. Tambourine man was originally written by Bob Dylan





No comments:

Post a Comment