Monday, June 5, 2017

Jesus' Sandals (Melaka camp 2017)


I made several mental ‘notes’ to take my comfortable slippers along to the tNCC family camp (Melaka 2017),  but was let down as I arrived at my room realizing I had left my comfortable flip-flops back in Puchong.

I had no choice but to wear shoes with long pants instead of the usual shorts/sandals attire for family camp. (Don’t like wearing shorts with shoes!) So the first chance I had in Melaka town was to ‘kena’ some durian cendol and lookout for a pair of slippers. Obviously, a tourist spot like “Jonker Street” would yield no  good buys (Japanese slipper RM20 RINGGIT!!) as opposed to a half the price in normal places. But I came across a shop which sold these “Jesus’ type-sandals”.  \

Actually being the comfort freak that I am, I would NOT  have gone for it, except those around me kept saying they ‘look nice’.  So for once I let the vanity get to me (instead of better judgment) and I doled out RM25.00 for a pair. It was only during the very active and powerful evening worship service I felt the error in my feet. Although it looked ‘nice’, my earlier suspicion that  the surface was just too hard was proven right (they have seen enough football injuries to the extent these things matter!). Suddenly I could empathize with the countless women who purchase shoes just to go along with a dress, or a design, but walking in them is like softly killing their feet (ok I exaggerate, and then again .. )



Anyway, so here is what I gather from the Jesus’ sandals episode, an object lesson in trying to walk like Jesus.  When making an important life decision we need ability to to hear what the Holy Spirit is saying. And we can do this by:-


1)      By feeling. If it doesn’t ‘feel ‘comfortable, Don’t Do It!  But beyond the feel of the physical fit, if there is a check in your spirit, it is the H.S. speaking / telling you not to proceed. It is as simple as that. A check in your spirit always means a red light. Those sandals felt too hard!


2)      By seeing. It transcends beyond seeing in the physical, although in the physical, things may look appealing ( those cool sandal straps!)  But there is a ‘seeing’ into the spirit realm, and we need to learn to tune to what the H. S is saying and how it relates to you. (How do you ‘see yourself’ in the aftermath of such a decision. (Can you walk a mile in those hard Jesus’ sandals.. aish! )


3)      By hearing. Sometimes all we need to do is to shut out the voices that are around you. (Not that we do not appreciate the people who care enough to give an opinion), but we are the ones that live with the choice we make.  To be able to ‘hear’ the still voice of the H S., we need to tune out the static so we can get a clear signal.   We need to hear the affirmation that HE gives.   


well, now that i ve  put some feet to the story, ( I hope you enjoy it, thks for reading!) 


No comments:

Post a Comment