Tuesday, March 14, 2017

The 'Wawasan Hill'

So It’s been a little more than a month and half since I took up ‘hiking’ seriously.  I stumbled on this hill accidentally which coincidentally is located just 5 minutes away from where I live. And I have to say, I am thoroughly enjoying my hiking activity in this secondary forest (which is actually a part of the Ayer Hitam Forest Reserve) owned and maintained by UPM.  In the past, I have always enjoyed a host of physical activities which are mainly competitive in nature, and tend to be more ‘company’ centered. (Badminton, football, etc  etc  maybe I need competition to be a driving factor).  I guess doing activity in groups is always more fun.

But I have to say that hiking alone by myself and enjoying this solo activity has been quite a revelation to me.
That I do actually enjoy the solitude seems rather strange.  Surrounded by nature and its ‘sounds’ seems almost a Zen like-experience and in the quietness of the forest, the sound of crunching sand beneath my feet feels almost therapeutic.   I am not in a race, with anyone nor with myself.   Perhaps the challenge is to power up my endurance so I can attack that last stretch of hill without panting my lungs out; but even so the feel of the cool dew laden air on my perspiring face/body is uniquely energizing, but the struggle up the last 30 meter summit is real.

Born into a time when our lives seems so peppered with demands of modern living, internet speeds and pings (of social media)  from our cell phones, the idea of solitude in nature is truly refreshing. The forest has its own space to clear your head and rejuvenate the soul. 


Oh did I mention the exercise isn’t too bad either ? 


Thy Word is a light unto my feet and a light unto my path





the view at near the summit


Add caption
 the hill is littered with dead trees that provide the substance of growth for the next generation. Nothing is wasted




Prohibited area

a stream runs thru your path


when was the last time you felt the rain



the tree must have fallen the night before as I didn't notice it last time. Sad to see the end of an 89-90 yr old tree. The cycle of life. 




two vines in love
at the foot of the hill is a coconut waiting to refresh you.( the reward)

That feelin.


Now the Lord God had planted a garden in the east, in Eden; and there he put the man he had formed. The Lord God made all kinds of trees grow out of the ground—trees that were pleasing to the eye and good for food. In the middle of the garden were the tree of life and the tree of the knowledge of good and evil.



2 comments:

  1. Nice! Happy you've taken up this pastime!

    ReplyDelete