Tuesday, March 30, 2010

A car story (written in 04)

As I began my morning shower, I peeked out of my bathroom window to my car on the road parked outside. I was wondering how the leak into the boot would hold up from the night’s heavy rain. I had fixed the persistent leak yesterday, and was anxious to see how it would do.

My faithful Proton car, now getting on in her years (12 years now) would naturally require more attention and repairs. And I was pondering maybe, just maybe it was time to trade in for a later model.


But I found myself resisting the idea, not because I didn’t like to drive a newer model, or because of the economics, but I had .. a strange relationship with this faithful car which has seen me through the years. Each time I fixed up the car I seemed to love and appreciate it even more. It’s like I have a special bonding with this old car. A strange thing… fork out money to fix the car and then seemed to delight more in her.


As I was left wondering .” what is it about me that delights in fixing up broken things”

… my thoughts began to drift to God (… is this how you have wired me Lord?, are we like.... made in your image somewhat?). Suddenly….my thoughts began to illuminate. What does God ‘s Word say about broken-ness. Did God not say ..” a broken and contrite heart I will not despise (Ps 51:17). Does not brokeness bring us near to God ? Blessed are the poor in spirit… meaning a broken and needy spirit.


The connection became clearer.


Just as how I delight in fixing a leaky car hood and seeing it thrive again , Our God and Father has this great delight in us when He would fix our brokenness and watch us get back on our feet and thrive again. That seem so natural and right..


If you are feeling defeated, confused, anxious, or plain burn out, take time to be with Him. He will fix our brokenness. You are at the place of a healing.


He has a strange relationship with us.


He doesn’t discard us just because our “performance” is not up to mark, nor will he trade us in for another new model because we have lost our “shine”. He patiently awaits us to come to Him, broken and badly needing a complete overhaul


A valve grinding job … my mechanic says, will fix the engine oil loss. And just like how I would delight to give BETSY a new make-over ( cars after 10 yrs …. you have to give them a name, you know ).

God is always waiting to do the same and pour out His pleasure on us. 


He loves to fix us and see us back up and running strong again.

Until my next shower now …..bye
08.07.2004


poor betsy.. her left/right indicator switch was all worn out and not working properly, and also the connecting light switch. Sometimes the lights switches off itself..
part taken out and ready for surgery..
.. pit stop time..
.. looking all in place and ready to hit the road again.

4 comments:

  1. SO LET ME GET THIS STRAIGHT. YOU'RE AN OLD BEAT UP CAR THAT NEEDS TO BE FIXED, AND YOU'RE LOSING YOUR ENGINE OIL THAT'S LEAKING FROM YOUR BOOT?.
    TSK TSK. MAKAN SOME GINSENG LAH AND WEAR PAMPERS.

    JUST PULLING YOUR LEG ANDREW. NICE ANALOGY.
    THAT'S WHY GOD MADE EVE. A SECOND MORE ADVANCED PROTOTYPE! WITH THE SMARTS NOT TO BREAK DOWN SO EASILY.

    HUGS!
    CAROL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Andrew
    God never gives up on anyone but loves us as we are.
    Our engines can break down but He never does.

    God Bless and have a Happy Easter.

    Love
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. wow 2 comments carol? , I am flattered. haha
    love,
    andrew
    helo(?) my pistons are all firing very well TQ

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG, we had a car we named Ruth and had to be Ruthless when we gave her away cos we were leaving for Thailand. and yes, i seem to love my very beat up ol' kancil more than my almost new proton iswara. so i gotta think about that one for a while...

    ReplyDelete