Tuesday, August 4, 2020

The zen of shoe polishing



There is the old maxim if you want to know what a man is like, just look at his shoes. (probably not a red Indian maxim). I must have created some 'impressions' with my tired looking pair of Rockports (which I tout the lightest most comfortable shoes ever! ), and since I heard the company has recently wound up (sob), i decided to make this pair to last as long as possible.

So I bought some brown shoe polish.

It's not as if I've never polished shoes before. There was a time in my life, I had to polish my shoes almost everyday. During my 15 month stint at the Philippines Airlines flight academy in Manila, I found myself enrolled into a uninformed para military flight school runned by ex-military aviators. ( Thanks a lot SIA! )  Yes, they were a tough outfit and we endured some questionable treatment by our senior upper classmen (ragging) not to mention those endless morning marching drills etc . Our military standard shoes had to be polished to the point we could see a mirror reflection of our teeth (and our bald shaven heads), I kid not.

So today, while working on my old Rockports, i had some time to reflect.. while refreshing a skill honed thru many nights massaging my shoe till my face 'appeared'.

The process is uncomplicated ..

First, apply the wax generously. Then with a lil water on the cotton cloth, rub gently in circles. Repeat and repeat and repeat er, yes and repeat... till the shine finally appear.

The wax acts like a filler to the leather. Thru repeated applications and friction (from the cloth), it works its way into the leather. After some while, heat from constant polishing causes the leather absorb and then create the shine.

While looking to check if my 'teeth' would appear (it didn't), but I did see the remarkable parallels to the Christian life.

When one receives His grace, we believe in the One who has saved us. At first, outwardly there may not be any perceived change but when our lives become infused with the "Zoe life" of our Savior, we begin to reflect 'who' we really are inside. 

Sometimes, the nix(es), micro tears, or the jaded condition of the leather shows up a journey that's just been off the beaten path  ; but all it needs is some extra 'attention' to bring out the shine, and eventually it does.

It always does.

As i look on proudly to the old Rockports which has served me so well, revived by some expert treatment, I'm just glad the One who walks with me doesn't discard the unlovely. He looks beyond the dirt, grime, and ugliness suffered. And He patiently waits knowing its just a matter of time. And I have utmost faith in Him, the One who ransomed me, will bring about the shine and all that is lovely in our lives. 

The real 'red indian' maxim says "don't not judge a man till you've walked a mile in his shoes" (mocassins). 

Well, Jesus has more than walked a mile in our shoes. 

And I trust completely His judgement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment