Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Food again .. anyone?

tea time favorites
My better half (wife) thinks I am posting too many articles about food. She is embarrassed others will think we are a gluttonous society (fact). I mean, food IS one of the pleasures of life right,? Not the most important but ranks up there don’t you think? Jesus had hearty meals with his disciples and related the great truth of the New covenant using a meal (Communion) to depict it . .. I guess because He knew we’d be eating quite a bit …what better reminder than that.? *

 

Think one of the luxuries (or hazards) of my job is looking for places to ‘hang’ in between appointments. So over time, I have developed a list of favorites. Recently, I was pondering what makes a particular place great to be in. Of course it must have some reasonably tasty food at reasonable prices. But aside from that, the place must have a particular ambience which feels ‘home’ to you. You know, like the famous ‘80s Cheers sitcom theme song “where everybody knows your name.” Some places have it, and others, well... not. 

One such place is the ever popular shop tucked in the corner of Section 12 of PJ. If you ever visit this place during the 3-5.30pm time you will find it is buzzing with people and the cacophony of voices to match. I am amazed how many people (regulars) without fail drop in and have their fill of the ‘tea time’ delights. The variety of food is matched by the variety of people. And everybody seems like in a good mood (maybe not the waiters- all from India and nart spekin english vely vell) I guess all have come anticipating their afternoon tea ‘fix’.

..aaah.. the world feels alright now with my afternoon tea.

Think the British were on to something..no? You know… the English & their afternoon tea ritual…

I digress.

People watching… ok I confess I like to do that. It is so interesting the types of people who frequent this place. I mean the mix of people and it dawns on me (again) how rich and diverse this country is .. it is lovely to see them all get along around some good food. 
I know (x2) the Malaysian food theme… it’s an overplayed theme bludgeoned to death by the  government to promote and project racial harmony and unity.

.. but Grand City's got it.

(w/out all those stuffy staged open houses and cheesy adverts promoting unity/ tolerance..)

Yes, we have our problems as a nation, but at least in this place ( and around tea time), …everyone’s in a good mood..

Yeah... I know I am just rambling aimlessly …must be something in the tea.. ( smile)



No comments:

Post a Comment